Microsoft’s new Windows 10 computer operating system is out to win the love its predecessor never got.
Here are some key features of the new operating system designed for computers and a variety of connected devices:
1. The Windows 10 user interface designed to work well on touchscreen devices such as tablets or smartphones and on personal computers with old-school mouse and keyboard controls.
2. A “Continuum” feature lets devices such as Surface tablets switch intuitively from touch-screen to keyboard
3. The Start menu that fell victim to Microsoft’s shift to “live tiles” in a prior iteration of Windows has been returned to its familiar place in the lower left corner of the screen, but users can opt for the tile interface.
4. “Windows Hello,” a new biometric authentication system aimed at easing away from passwords, will be available of compatible devices.
5. The Cortana virtual assistant built into Windows-powered smartphones makes a debut on personal computers with Windows 10. Cortana collaborates with Microsoft search engine Bing to find files or information people seek, whether on computer hard drives or on the Internet. The virtual assistant can also calendar appointments, play requested music, and more.
6. The new, faster Edge browser replaces Internet Explorer and is tailored to work well with Cortana.
7. Windows 10 has an Action Center where notifications are organized and settings can be adjusted.
8. An application allows users to stream video games from Xbox consoles to desktop or laptop computers, potentially easing competition for control of television screens in homes.
9. On the work side, Windows 10 has revamped core applications for mail, calendars, photos and more.
10. An upgraded security system has built-in protections to help safeguard against viruses, phishing, and malware.
Originally posted on http://www.ibnlive.com/news/tech/top-10-key-features-in-windows-10-1027799.html